"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Preserving Cucumbers in the Freezer

I absolutely love cucumbers. Especially this year. i have been craving them all summer. Eating them dipped in ranch dressing, or dipped in italian dressing. eating them for late breakfast, lunch, or evening snack. Whenever the mood hits for something cool, crunchy and refreshing.  no, i am NOT pregnant. Definitely NOT! 
Several times this summer my local grocery store has been ut of them. sometimes for two weeks. Must be a lot of other cucumber lovers out there too. I have a bunch planted in the garden, but I am just now starting to get some to eat. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out if there was anyway I could preserve them for fresh eating this winter without  having to buy them. I like pickles and sometimes eat them for snacks, but thats not what I have been craving. Then one day i happened onto a recipe for freezing these guys in a solution of vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Supposedly they still come out of the freezer crunchy. I had my doubt however. So I asked my daughter-in-laws mother, who is an excellent cook, if she had ever heard of doing them this way. She said she had and that they were indeed still crunchy when defrosted. 
A few days ago, I had a couple ready to eat from the garden, plus supplemented with a store bought. I needed to fill a 16 z plastic container. Everything went together very quickly. I put them straight in the freezer. Then 24 hrs later, I decided to pull them out and give them a try. Once defrosted, they were absolutely delightful. Slightly sweet, crunchy, cool and refreshing. I didnt stop till I had them half gone. Anyway,  When hubby cam home I had him  try them. I knew it would take a little coaxing. he is like a child sometimes when it comes to trying new things. but we wont discuss that any further.
I remembered his mother used to make them fresh and serve them in mix of 50/50 vinegar and water. he loved them that way. so i figured that was close enough to mom's.
Low and behold....he liked them. He really liked them 


I dont know where I got the recipe from online, so I am sorry for not being able t give credit. But here it is:


                                                    FROZEN CUCUMBER PICKLES   
1 lb. Kirby or pickling cucumbers, sliced (4 c.)
2 c. thinly sliced onions
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cider vinegar
3 tsp. water
1 c. sugar
Combine cucumbers, onions, salt and water in glass bowl. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Add sugar and vinegar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pack mixture lightly into 2 - 1pint freezer containers or jars, leaving 1 inch space at top. Cover tightly and freeze overnight or up to 6 weeks. Thaw at room temperature 4 hours. Refrigerate any leftovers up to 1 week. Makes 4 cups.
NOTE: Very good!!! The pickles stay crisp after thawing, even left over in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment