"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Mowing strawberries...The Results Are In

    If you remember, back in mid June of last year, I wrote THIS post about mowing back June bearing strawberries for increased production the following year. For the past two years I have gotten only a handfull of berries from my plants in this 16'x2' bed. I have now got them extended around the backside tho, as I removed new plants on runners and planted them elsewhere. I also read that you should remove runners as well, which I have not done. I just re-plant the stragglers that escaped the raised bed. I have never tried mowing them before, but I knew I had to do something. This many healthy plants should have been producing a lot more.
      Well, the results are in. This evening we were mowing and trimming around the backyard and garden. I couldnt believe the blooms on my plants when I had time to check them out. They are LOADED. I am guessing probably three times more berries than I got for the last two years TOTAL! Just take a look:




                                        As always, you can click on the pic to enlarge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment